J. Michael JohnstonSteelhead Partners Co-founder and Managing Member; Equity Strategies
- Michael co-founded Steelhead Partners, LLC in late 1996. He manages the firm’s equity strategies.
- As senior vice president and senior portfolio manager at Loews Corporation, he co-managed over $5 billion in corporate bonds and managed an equity portfolio.
- Michael began his investment career at Prudential Insurance as a high yield and investment grade credit analyst. He was promoted to co-portfolio manager of an $11 billion fixed income portfolio.
- Other applicable experience includes responsibilities as a credit analyst at Texas American Bank.
- He graduated with honors from Texas Christian University with a BA in finance and received his MBA from the Johnson Graduate School of Business at Cornell University.
Scott Schaefer, CFAPortfolio Manager, Pathfinder Group Partner, Convertible Strategies
- Scott joined Steelhead in 2005 from Loews Corporation. He and firm co-founder Michael Johnston were previously colleagues at both Loews and Prudential Insurance.
- In 1992, Scott joined Loews as a senior vice president and senior portfolio manager. As co-manager of the investment-grade corporate portfolio, he was responsible for over $5 billion in assets. During this time he developed an interest in convertible securities and, with Loews' support, launched an in-house portfolio. By 2003 he was running convertible funds totaling $800 million.
- Upon completing his MBA, Scott joined Prudential Insurance as a portfolio manager. He assumed responsibility for two fixed-income mutual funds, as well as the fixed-income components of two asset allocation funds. He became the designated investment-grade corporate bond expert in the mutual fund group.
- Scott began his career at IBM in Bethesda, Maryland as a computer programmer.
- He interned at The Travelers as an investment analyst, modeling optionality in corporate bonds.
- Scott was educated at Duke University (magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa). He graduated with dual majors in economics and computer science and received his MBA in finance from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
Brian KleinSteelhead Partners Co-founder and Managing Member
- Brian co-founded Steelhead Partners, LLC in late 1996.
- As vice president and executive director in the equities division at Goldman Sachs, Brian worked with some of the world's largest institutional investors in Frankfurt, Germany, and Boston.
- Brian was trained in credit analysis at the Bayerische Vereinsbank in Munich, Germany. He started in the credit department before serving as assistant to the director of investment banking.
- He graduated from Texas Christian University with a BA in history and earned his MBA at Southern Methodist University .
Nick McFarland, CFACo-Portfolio Manager, Pathfinder Group Partner, Convertible Strategies
- Nick joined Steelhead Partners in 2008 to assist Scott Schaefer with research and analysis in the convertibles arena.
- Prior to joining Steelhead, Nick worked with several value/credit-oriented funds (including Franklin Templeton Investments), performing credit analysis, building financial models, and developing trading strategies.
- Nick spent six years in derivatives research and trading at Russell Investment Group (formerly Frank Russell Co.) and Rotella Capital Management.
- He graduated with a BA in Business Leadership (Finance emphasis) from University of Puget Sound and received his MBA from the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley.
Brian BettsSenior Analyst
- Brian joined Steelhead in 2017 to assist with research for Steelhead's equity strategies.
- Prior, he was a managing director on the investment team at Tremblant Capital in New York.
- Brian began his career as a staff accountant at Ernst & Young conducting hedge fund audits.
- He graduated from the University of Washington with a BS in Accounting followed by a Masters in Accounting.
Michael RidgewayHead Trader
- Mike originally joined Steelhead in 2000 to assist with research and trading. He left the firm in 2016 for a brief while and returned in 2017 to resume his position as head equities trader.
- Prior to joining Steelhead, Mike was vice president and manager of institutional sales at Ragen MacKenzie (now a subsidiary of Wells Fargo).
- He also spent four years at Stellar International, a private holding company, where he constructed and implemented portfolio investment strategies based on fundamental analysis and a contrarian value methodology.
- Mike received his undergraduate and MBA degrees, both with an emphasis in finance, from Seattle University.
Chris Brown, CFA, CPAAnalyst
- Chris joined Steelhead as an analyst on the Pathfinder team in 2014 upon graduating from University of Washington.
- His undergraduate work experience included internships with Deloitte & Touche's Audit group and Morgan Stanley's Private Wealth Management group, as well as assisting with teaching a UW MBA accounting course.
- His undergraduate research focused on fraudulent financial reporting.
- Chris graduated with a BA in Business Administration with a concentration in Accounting and Finance.